Welcome to the AR Events at PSC.
Over the past decade the sale of semiautomatic sporting rifles to the general public has been off the charts, record high demand has on several occasions exceeded supply. It has been estimated that over 15 million AR-15 type rifles are owned by private citizens.
If you are one of these citizens that has never fired an AR (a.k.a. Modern Sporting Rifle), PSC has an event to get you started and have some fun. Even if you have fired your rifle, this event will get you off the bench and onto the target range to explore various shooting positions.
The AR Events are designed for all skill levels, entry level to competitive marksman using modern, general purpose rifles capable of using an external detachable box type magazine. Open sights, optics, and scopes are welcome as well as short barrel and suppressed rifles. If you have it, bring it out! This includes ARs, AKs, M1s, M1 Carbines, and M1As. If you are unsure if your rifle will fit in, please contact the Match Director.
The Program is divided into Clinic Events and Match Events which will be posted on the PSC calendar, and scheduled for the first Saturday of each month.
Some of the equipment you’ll need in addition to your rifle:
- Good hearing and eye protection. Many shooters “double up” and wear ear plugs and muffs.
- Empty Chamber Flag. This is a safety requirement for all AR Events.
- Ammunition. 200 rounds will usually cover Clinic and Match events but it is okay to bring more. No incendiary or tracer rounds are allowed. Additionally, XM855 (green tip) or steel core ammo is not allowed for AR Match Events.
- Comfortable clothing. You will be shooting from a variety of positions and you will be moving, so wear something that allows for this. Many shooters wear shorts.
- Hydration. Even in the cooler months, it is very important to stay hydrated. Some of the regular shooters even bring a cooler with something to snack on.
- Knee pads, shooting gloves, and magazine pouches are optional.
So, don’t be shy. Bring your rifle out and enjoy some fantastic camaraderie.